Monday, May 26, 2008

Expensive Free Stuff

Once in a while you'll get hit with a present that costs money. Dogs are the classic example, and jokes abound about the price of 'free puppies'.

I just graduated, and was given a very nice $400 suit from my inlaws. A new suit though meant that I needed shoes that matched, which I didn't own.

So, last week we went and got some new shoes so that I can wear my suit to a job interview I hope to have next week. I ended up buying a pair of Rockport Wingtip shoes. That set us back $90 which we weren't expecting to spend this month.

On the up side, I now look super sharp (losing 20 pounds had an adverse affect on how my old suit fit), and I feel very confident walking into the interview next week. I also have a $380 net gain.

On the down side, a net gain doesn't help me much financially. It's something I wouldn't have bought myself, and it's not something I will ever derive direct financial value from. Granted, if I can get a higher salary at my new job, it will have had an effect, however my old suit may have been up to the task as well.

--

You may question my buying Rockports for $90 when there were other nice looking shoes in the $40-$60 range. The last pair of shoes I bought was a $50 pair of nice leather non-Rockport shoes. They lasted a week before the sole split from the uppers.

My last pair of rockports I got in 9th grade and I still have them and wear them. Even though there's not hope for them for formal use, they've held up superbly and I wear them to work.

No comments: